[Gluster-devel] Avoid glusterfsd for every volume

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Thu Dec 8 03:50:56 UTC 2016

On Thu, Dec 8, 2016 at 9:13 AM, jin deng <cheneydeng88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello world,
>
>     we are using glusterfs to build our public cloud storage service with
> NFS protocol.we use the glusterfs
> as the storage layer.And we will do our development based on the glusterfs
> of version 3.6.9.
>
>     As public cloud,our users may create a lot of volumes.The way
> glusterfs doing is start a "glusterfsd" process
> for every volume,that will make our server with too much processes and
> most of them may have little request.So
> the processes take much resource of our server and may become the bottle
> of our service.

Good news is we are working on brick multiplexing which should address the
issues you highlighted above and is supposed to land in 3.10 release
(Around Feb end/early March). For more details, please refer [1]

[1]
https://github.com/gluster/glusterfs-specs/blob/master/under_review/multiplexing.md

>     Two ways to solve that problem as i thought:
>     1) we don't create the volume as our users indicated,instead,we create
> just one "basic" volume,and all the users' volumes export as a
> sub-directory within the basic volume.however,this solution sacrifices the
> ability to migrate/heal the data with the volume granularity and seems
> unbearable.
>
>     2) modifying the protocol/server xlator to let it support handle
> multiple subvolumes in one process.after scanning the code of
> protocol/server,i think the biggest problem is the configuration,the
> configuration and the glusterfsd is corresponding one-by-one.I want to get
> some guidances from you if this modification is possible and not takes too
> much work.And is there other problems which this plan won't work?
>
>    Hope to see your solution to solve our problem.Thanks in advance.
>

> --
> Sincerely,
> DengJin

~ Atin (atinm)