[Gluster-devel] Avoid glusterfsd for every volume

jin deng cheneydeng88 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 03:43:10 UTC 2016

Hello world,

    we are using glusterfs to build our public cloud storage service with
NFS protocol.we use the glusterfs
as the storage layer.And we will do our development based on the glusterfs
of version 3.6.9.

    As public cloud,our users may create a lot of volumes.The way glusterfs
doing is start a "glusterfsd" process
for every volume,that will make our server with too much processes and most
of them may have little request.So
the processes take much resource of our server and may become the bottle of
our service.

    Two ways to solve that problem as i thought:
    1) we don't create the volume as our users indicated,instead,we create
just one "basic" volume,and all the users' volumes export as a
sub-directory within the basic volume.however,this solution sacrifices the
ability to migrate/heal the data with the volume granularity and seems
unbearable.

    2) modifying the protocol/server xlator to let it support handle
multiple subvolumes in one process.after scanning the code of
protocol/server,i think the biggest problem is the configuration,the
configuration and the glusterfsd is corresponding one-by-one.I want to get
some guidances from you if this modification is possible and not takes too
much work.And is there other problems which this plan won't work?

   Hope to see your solution to solve our problem.Thanks in advance.

--
Sincerely,
DengJin