[Gluster-devel] Renaming Heketi CLI

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Mon Apr 4 09:53:43 UTC 2016

On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 12:36:56AM -0400, Luis Pabon wrote:
> Hi all,
>   As you may know, Heketi (https://github.com/heketi/heketi) is a service that allows volumes to be created on demand from any number of GlusterFS clusters.  The program heketi-cli was at first created as a sample application for developers, but now that we will be working on it to be used by users, I am not sure if the name is appropriate, and is probably confusing.  My question is, should the program still be called "heketi-cli"?.  I am thinking it should be called something along the lines of GlusterFS-family-like program:
>
> Here are some names for the cli:
>
> $ glfs-heketi volume create ...

I like this one best. "glfs" is a common abbreviation for GlusterFS.

> or
>
> $ glfs volume create ...

When naming the binary "glfs", it needs to be very modular, similar to
how "git" can run additional binaries. Other projects may want to use
the common "glfs" name too.

> or
>
> $ glusterfs-cloud volume create ...

My 2nd choice.

> or
>
> $ gfsc volume create ...

GFS is like the Global File System, not GlusterFS.

> or
>
> $ gfscloud volume create ...
>
> What do you think?

Thanks,