[Gluster-devel] GlusterD 2.0 status updates

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Mon Sep 7 17:08:35 UTC 2015

On Monday 07 September 2015 09:38 PM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
>> Agree here. I think we can use Go as the other non-C language for
>> components like glusterd, geo-replication etc. and retire the python
>> implementation of gsyncd that exists in 3.x over time.
>
> That sounds like a pretty major effort.  Are you suggesting that it
> (or even part of it) should be part of 4.0?

Not for the first cut of 4.0 but we can take this up as a goal for a
subsequent 4.x release. We do not have a lot of non C code. syncdaemon
and glusterfind are probably the only non C pieces that exist today in
the codebase (excluding tests, glupy). The python implementation of
gsyncd is not one of my favorite pieces of code in the repository. I
find it obscure and am slightly concerned about it from a
maintainability perspective. A refactor might make it easier to manage
over time.

>> python will still be present as part of our distaf test infrastructure.
>> We can possibly port our bash test scripts to python and retire the
>> usage of BASH with Gluster.next releases.
>
> Getting rid of bash scripts sounds great, but we're talking about 420
> scripts - many of them quite opaque and thus tedious to port to
> another language/framework.  I suspect that some of these tests will
> linger in their current form for quite some time to come.

Yes, agree with you. We can look at having new tests in python and do a
lazy conversion of existing test units to python.

-Vijay