[Gluster-devel] GlusterD 2.0 status updates

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Mon Sep 7 15:30:33 UTC 2015

On Saturday 05 September 2015 05:46 AM, Richard Wareing wrote:
> So far things are moving towards 3-4 languages (Python, C, Go, sprinkle of BASH) and 2 RPC frameworks.  No language or RPC mechanism is perfect, but the proficiency of the coder at the keyboard is_far_  more important.  IMHO we should focus on 1 low level high-performance language (C) and 1 higher level language for other components where high performance isn't required (geo-rep, glusterd etc), as it will encourage higher proficiency in the chosen languages and less fractured knowledge amongst developers.

Agree here. I think we can use Go as the other non-C language for
components like glusterd, geo-replication etc. and retire the python
implementation of gsyncd that exists in 3.x over time.

python will still be present as part of our distaf test infrastructure.
We can possibly port our bash test scripts to python and retire the
usage of BASH with Gluster.next releases.

Regards,
Vijay