[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] VM fs becomes read only when one gluster node goes down

Josh Boon gluster at joshboon.com
Mon Oct 26 16:41:22 UTC 2015

Andre,

I've not explored using a DNS solution to publish the gluster cluster addressing space but things you'll want to check out are network.ping-timeout and whether or not your VM goes read-only on filesystem error. If your network is consistent and robust tuning network.ping-timeout to a very low value such as three seconds will instruct the client to drop that client on failure. The default value for this is 42 seconds which will cause your VM to go read-only as you've seen. You could also choose to have your VM's mount their partitions errors=continue as well depending on the filesystem they run. Our setup has timeout at seven seconds and errors=continue and has survived both testing and storage node segfaults. No data integrity issues have presented yet but our data is mostly temporal so integrity hasn't been tested thoroughly. Also we're qemu 2.0 running gluster 3.6 on ubuntu 14.04 for those curious.

Best,
Josh