[Gluster-devel] Call for participation : Feature integration in Glusterd 2.0

Atin Mukherjee amukherj at redhat.com
Wed Oct 7 04:27:59 UTC 2015

Hi All,

This mail is an invite to all feature users/owners for your
participation for coming up with the REST API for feature specific
command semantics.

GlusterD 2.0 will work as a REST server and with that all commands need
to have REST end points. The goal here is to support the existing
semantics as well as introduce new ones if required. We would like to
hear from you about what changes does every feature want to see in them
in terms of usage and simplicity and this is why an early involvement
will be very crucial and handy.

You could refer to the documentation [1] on how to define the REST end
points for a command. This can be used as a guide to porting feature
specific commands into the new GlusterD 2.0 codebase.

Along with this, we also need to work on a model where every features
can work as a pluggable module to GlusterD. The whole idea behind this
approach is to make GlusterD code as light as possible and independent
of other features. Off late with a non pluggable module which we have
for current GlusterD, maintainability becomes a huge issue as every new
features/CRs touches GlusterD code. During our design discussion last
week we had an extensive discussion on this and you could find the
recording of the session [2]. I am also attaching the slide deck which
we referred for GlusterD 2.0 discussion for your reference. And I
believe we need a distributed effort from all of the feature owners to
get them integrated in GlusterD 2.0

GlusterD 2.0 ongoing development is now been hosted in gluster github
and can be found at [3]

We look forward for your active contribution to this project.

[1] https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2/blob/master/commands/doc.go
[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBFfHv4bne8
[3] https://github.com/gluster/glusterd2

Thanks,