[Gluster-devel] NetBSD regressions not being triggered for patches

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 19:10:59 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:48:46AM +0200, Michael Scherer wrote:
> Le mercredi 17 juin 2015 à 08:20 +0200, Emmanuel Dreyfus a écrit :
> > Venky Shankar <yknev.shankar at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > If that's the case, then I'll vote for this even if it takes some time
> > > to get things in workable state.
> >
> > See my other mail about this: you enter a new slave VM in the DNS and it
> > does not resolve, or somethimes you get 20s delays. I am convinced this
> > is the reason why Jenkins bugs.
>
> But cloud.gluster.org is handled by rackspace, not sure how much control
> we have for it ( not sure even where to start there ).

On build.gluster.org there now is a /usr/local/bin/get-hosts.py script
(needs to be executed through sude). This pulls down the DNS records
from our cloud.gluster.org domain in Rackspace and proves a /etc/hosts
formatted output.

/etc/hosts on build.gluster.org contains all the current entries. We
could automatically update it with a cron job or something, if needed.
New VMs should get added to /etc/hosts too, either manually or by
executing the script (sudo vim /etc/hosts, :r!/usr/local/bin/get-hosts.py).

> And I think the DNS issues are just a symptom of a bigger network issue,
> having local DNS might just mask the problem and which would then be non
> DNS related ( like tcp connexion not working ).

Maybe, but I hope those issues stay masked when resolving the hostnames
is more stable. When we have the other servers up and running, we would
have a better understanding and options to investigate issues like this.

HTH,
Niels