[Gluster-devel] Notes on "brick multiplexing" in 4.0

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Wed Jun 17 12:04:46 UTC 2015

On Wednesday 17 June 2015 02:21 AM, Kaushal M wrote:
> One more question. I keep hearing about QoS for volumes as a feature.
> How will we guarantee service quality for all the bricks from a single
> server? Even if we weren't doing QoS, we make sure that operations on
> brick doesn't DOS the others. We already keep hearing from users about
> self-healing causing problems for the clients. Self-healing, rebalance
> running simultaneously on multiple volumes in a multiplexed bricks
> environment would most likely be disastrous.

Applying per tenant rules might be easier with a multiplexed brick than
on a non-multiplexed one. Each tenant would need some slice of the
overall resources and a single instance of the QoS translator loaded in
the multiplexed brick can address this requirement. Same with
management/internal operations like self-healing, rebalance etc. We
would need knobs/policies to ensure that management operations do not
steal the thunder away from user driven IO operations.

On the other hand, if we have one process per volume/tenant preventing
problems like noisy neighbors in a multi-tenant situation can be harder
to address as each tenant is unaware of the global resource usage.

-Vijay