[Gluster-devel] Notes on "brick multiplexing" in 4.0

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Wed Jun 17 10:47:16 UTC 2015

On 17 Jun 2015, at 07:21, Kaushal M <kshlmster at gmail.com> wrote:
> One more question. I keep hearing about QoS for volumes as a feature.
> How will we guarantee service quality for all the bricks from a single
> server? Even if we weren't doing QoS, we make sure that operations on
> brick doesn't DOS the others. We already keep hearing from users about
> self-healing causing problems for the clients.

Any idea if there's a clear patten of network vs disk traffic vs
something else causing that? (Excess network or disk traffic could
easily cause it in theory I guess, but practical data would be useful.
:>)

> Self-healing, rebalance
> running simultaneously on multiple volumes in a multiplexed bricks
> environment would most likely be disastrous.

Not sure how that's different from now with those operations being
able to run in the current approach.  This is us having a chance to
think this stuff through and work out a solution now. :)

+ Justin

--
GlusterFS - http://www.gluster.org