[Gluster-devel] Gluster Coreutils

Joe Julian joe at julianfamily.org
Sun Jun 14 21:44:09 UTC 2015

On 06/14/2015 11:43 AM, Raghavendra Talur wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 14, 2015 at 11:02 PM, chris holcombe
> <chris.holcombe at canonical.com <mailto:chris.holcombe at canonical.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Welcome to the party Matthew!  Nice to see you're still keeping an
>     eye on on the list.  I'm excited to see this collaboration.  This
>     is going to turn out great :)
>
>     On 06/14/2015 01:58 AM, Matthew McKeen wrote:
>
>         Hey Craig and Chris:
>
>         I might be interested in collaborating on this as well.
>
>         Will be useful when I come back to FB in September.
>
>         Let me know where the public repository ends up being.
>
>         Thanks,
>         Matthew McKeen
>
>         P.S. Tell Richard I said hello
>
>         On Fri, Jun 12, 2015 at 11:29 AM chris holcombe
>         <chris.holcombe at canonical.com
>         <mailto:chris.holcombe at canonical.com>
>         <mailto:chris.holcombe at canonical.com
>         <mailto:chris.holcombe at canonical.com>>> wrote:
>
>             Yeah I have this repo but it's basically empty:
>         https://github.com/cholcombe973/GlusterUtils
>
>             On 06/12/2015 11:27 AM, Craig Cabrey wrote:
>             > Chris,
>             >
>             > That sounds good to me.
>             >
>             > I already have started on implementation, just to get
>         familiar
>             with the codebase and GFAPI.
>             >
>             > Is there a public repo that we can use for collaboration?
>             >
>             > Craig
>             >
>             >> On Jun 12, 2015, at 10:46 AM, chris holcombe
>             <chris.holcombe at canonical.com
>         <mailto:chris.holcombe at canonical.com>
>             <mailto:chris.holcombe at canonical.com
>         <mailto:chris.holcombe at canonical.com>>> wrote:
>             >>
>             >> Craig,
>             >>
>             >> I was actually planning on building the same tool set.
>         I would
>             like to work with you also on this if that's ok.
>             >>
>             >> -Chris
>             >>
>             >> On 06/12/2015 10:43 AM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
>             >>>> Hi everyone,
>             >>>>
>             >>>> This summer I am an intern at Facebook working on the
>         Gluster
>             team. Part of
>             >>>> my project for the summer includes developing a set of
>             coreutils that
>             >>>> utilizes the Gluster C API natively.
>             >>>>
>             >>>> This project is similar in nature to the NFS
>         coreutils that
>             some of you may
>             >>>> have heard about from the other Facebook engineers at the
>             Gluster summit
>             >>>> recently. I just wanted to reach out to the Gluster
>         community
>             to gather
> [...]
One issue to keep in mind is (potentially) tens of thousands of clients
connecting simultaneously. This would be a huge load on glusterd and
potentially use up all the available ports (depending on tcp _fin_timeout).

See
https://docs.google.com/document/d/15IiPVIPMzgGwkt1sKuIusRE2l3pQY6NnA4WmWaMsFJE/edit
for a potential solution.