[Gluster-devel] Gluster Coreutils

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Fri Jun 12 17:43:56 UTC 2015

> Hi everyone,
>
> This summer I am an intern at Facebook working on the Gluster team. Part of
> my project for the summer includes developing a set of coreutils that
> utilizes the Gluster C API natively.
>
> This project is similar in nature to the NFS coreutils that some of you may
> have heard about from the other Facebook engineers at the Gluster summit
> recently. I just wanted to reach out to the Gluster community to gather
> ideas, potential features, feedback, and direction.
>
> The initial set of utilities that I am developing includes the following:
>
> * cat
> * mkdir
> * put (read from stdin and write to a file)
> * mv
> * ls
> * rm
> * tail
>
> Again, any feedback will be welcome.

Hi, Craig, and welcome to the project.  :)

There seems to be some overlap with a proposal Ragahavendra Talur sent out
a couple of days ago.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yuRLRbdccx_0V0UDAxqWbz4g983q5inuINHgM1YO040/edit?usp=sharing

This seems like an excellent opportunity to collaborate.  Ideally, I think
it would be useful to have both an FTP-client-like "shell" and a set of
standalone "one shot" commands, based on as much common code as possible.