[Gluster-devel] using GlusterFS to build an NFSv4.1 pNFS server

Jiffin Tony Thottan jthottan at redhat.com
Tue Jun 2 06:22:06 UTC 2015

Hi Rick,

There is already support for pNFS in gluster volumes using nfs-ganesha :
http://gluster.readthedocs.org/en/latest/Features/mount_gluster_volume_using_pnfs/
It supports normal FILE_LAYOUT architecture.
Other comments are inline

On 02/06/15 05:18, Rick Macklem wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Btw, I do most of the FreeBSD NFSv4 work.
> I am interested in trying to use GlusterFS
> to build a FreeBSD NFSv4.1 pNFS server.
> My hope is that, by directing the NFSv4.1 client
> to the host where the file resides, the client will
> be able to do I/O on it efficiently via the NFSv3
> server. (The new layout type called flex files allows
> an NFSv3 server to be a storage/data server for pNFS.)

It will be good to use gluster-nfs  as a data-server(which is more
tightly coupled with bricks)
CCing Anand who has better idea about flex file layout architecture

> To do this, I need to be able to "poke" the
> glusterfs server and get the following information:
> - The NFSv3 file handle and the IP address for
>    the host(s) the file lives on.
>    --> Using this, I am planning on creating a layout
>        that tells the NFSv4.1 client to use NFSv3 to
>        do I/O on the file. (What NFSv4.1 calls a storage
>        server, although some RFCs might call it a data
>        server.)
> - I hope to use the fuse interface for the NFSv4.1 metadata
>    server.

I don't know how much it is feasible to implement meta data server using
a fuse interface.

> If anyone can point me to the area in the GlusterFS sources
> that I should look at to do this and/or suggest a machanism
> for getting the above information out of the GlusterFS server,
> please let me know.
>
> Also, any comments w.r.t. the above plan are welcome.

In my opinion, a hybrid approach will better. Use the current meta data
server implemented in ganesha (support for flex files is already added
in ganesha)
and might need to have some tweaks in write, read, commit api's of
gluster-nfs. In this implementation, we should keep away
meta-data-server from
trusted storage pool(T.S.P) i.e a dedicated server is required for M.D.S

> Thanks in advance for any information, rick
> ps: I haven't written any code yet, but I think the above
>      might be feasible.

You are mostly welcome in coding part :).

If you face any issue to implement current pNFS server for gluster
volumes , please feel free to enquire about the same.

Regards,
Jiffin