[Gluster-devel] Brick path used for gluster shared storage volume

Atin Mukherjee atin.mukherjee83 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 05:28:52 UTC 2015

-Atin
Sent from one plus one
On Jul 5, 2015 10:16 AM, "Avra Sengupta" <asengupt at redhat.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Today with with enabling volume set option cluster.enable-shared-storage,
we create a shared storage volume called gluster_shared_storage for the
user, and mount it on all the nodes in the cluster. Currently this volume
is used for features like nfs-ganesha, snapshot scheduler and
geo-replication to save some internal data required by these features. The
brick path we use to create this shared storage is
/var/run/gluster/ss_brick.

> The problem with using this brick path is /var/run/gluster is a tmpfs and
all the brick/shared storage data will be wiped off when the node restarts.
Hence I propose using /var/lib/glusterd/ss_brick as the brick path for
shared storage volume as this brick and the shared storage volume is
internally created by us (albeit on user's request), and contains only
internal state data and no user data.

> We are also aware that admins sometime take backup of /var/lib/glusterd
to save the current state of gluster. Again this shouldn't be an issue as
the data contained in these bricks is only internal state data and is very
minimal.
If its minimal I don't see any issue here.

> Please let me know if there are any issues or concerns with using
/var/lib/glusterd/ss_brick as the brick path for the shared storage, and
also suggest an alternate brick path.