[Gluster-devel] Integrating liburcu source into the glusterfs source tree

Kaleb KEITHLEY kkeithle at redhat.com
Fri Jan 30 13:00:41 UTC 2015

Hi,

Just FYI, what you propose is called bundling in Fedora packaging
parlance, and Fedora's packaging guidelines forbid bundling. It is
possible to get an exception granted, but it's not safe to presume that
an exception will be granted.

(For downstream this is a non-issue, but here on gluster-devel we're not
concerned with downstream.)

You either need to convince the maintainers of liburcu to update to the
newer versions everywhere, or you need to implement using the oldest
version on the platforms you intend to support. And if this is too
onerous, e.g. to use what's in (RH)EL5, then it's another argument in
favor of dropping support for (RH)EL5. (The other argument is that
python on RHEL5 is too old for geo-rep.)

In short, those of use who package gluster in Fedora would be, however
reluctantly, required to vote against doing this. I recommend contacting
the liburcu maintainers in Fedora/EPEL and see if you can't convince
them to update to the newest version.

Regards,

--

Kaleb