[Gluster-devel] Reg. multi thread epoll NetBSD failures

Emmanuel Dreyfus manu at netbsd.org
Sat Jan 24 03:32:52 UTC 2015

Ben England <bengland at redhat.com> wrote:

> NetBSD may be useful for exposing race conditions, but it's not clear to
> me that all of these race conditions would happen in a non-NetBSD
> environment,

In many times, NetBSD exhibited cases where non specified,
Linux-specific behaviors were assumed. I recall my very first finding in
Glusterfs: Linux lets you use a mutex without calling
pthread_mutex_init() first. That broke on NetBSD, as expected.

Fixing this kind of issues is interesting beyond NetBSD support, since
you cannot take for granted that an unspecified behavior will not be
altered in the future.

That said, I am fine if you let NetBSD run without fixing the underlying
issue, but you have been warned :-)

--
Emmanuel Dreyfus
http://hcpnet.free.fr/pubz