[Gluster-devel] missing files

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Wed Feb 11 05:18:47 UTC 2015

On 11 Feb 2015, at 03:06, Shyam <srangana at redhat.com> wrote:
<snip>
> 2) We ran an strace of tar and also collected io-stats outputs from these volumes, both show that create and mkdir is slower on slow as compared to the fast volume. This seems to be the overall reason for slowness

Any idea's on "why" the create and mkdir is slower?

Wondering if it's a case of underlying filesystem parameters (for the bricks)
+ maybe physical storage structure having become badly optimised over time.
eg if its on spinning rust, not ssd, and sector placement is now bad

Any idea if there are tools that can analyse this kind of thing?  eg meta
data placement / fragmentation / on a drive for XFS/ext4

+ Justin

--
GlusterFS - http://www.gluster.org