[Gluster-devel] Recognizing contributors and displaying other useful bits?

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Wed Dec 16 16:35:04 UTC 2015

On 12/16/2015 07:36 PM, Niels de Vos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Many GUI tools provide an "About" box that displays some information
> about the project. Some applications (Wireshark for example) go an extra
> step by including a list of all people that contributed patches. That is
> quite a nice way for contributors to see the appreciation of their work.
>
> I think it would be really awesome if we could do something similar. We
> have our reserved+hidden ".glusterfs" directory where all access is
> denied. We could populate this directory with static compiled-in
> contents. When accessed from a client, the licenses, versions, authors
> and other bits could be displayed. A normal readdir should still not
> list the directory at all (no change from current behaviour).
>
> Any thoughts?

I think It would be better to revive the who-wrote-glusterfs reports
that Vijay used to send on the mailing list instead of statically adding
contributor names to code.
We could have a `gluster --credits` or `gluster--help`  cli that points
to gluster.org and maybe add a button thingy on the website which when
clicked runs the who-wrote-glusterfs.sh  on <whatever-branch>  and
displays the result. Things like version numbers and licenses are/should
be covered in gluster--version.

But yes, if  we do want to expose this information via the mount point,
then maybe /mount/.meta is a good place.

My 2 cents.
Ravi

> Niels

 > : Any porters out there should feel happier knowing that DEC is
shipping > : me an AlphaPC that I intend to try getting linux running
on: this will > : definitely help flush out some of the most flagrant
unportable stuff. > : The Alpha is much more different from the i386
than the 68k stuff is, so > : it's likely to get most of the stuff
fixed. > > It's posts like this that almost convince us non-believers
that there > really is a god. (A follow-up by
alovell at kerberos.demon.co.uk, Anthony Lovell, to Linus's remarks about
porting)