[Gluster-devel] libgfapi compound operations - multiple writes

Raghavendra Gowdappa rgowdapp at redhat.com
Thu Dec 10 03:51:42 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

Yes. I had similar thoughts while asking the question. Thanks for elaborating.

> There is, however, one case where compounding would be the right answer:
> when there really is a dependency between the writes.  There’s no way to
> specify this through the POSIX/VFS interface (more’s the pity), but it’s
> easy to imagine GFAPI or internal use cases where a second write should
> not overtake or continue without the first - e.g.  a key/value store
> that writes new data followed by an index update pointing to that data.
> The strictly-sequential behavior of a compound operation might be just
> the right match for such cases.

We have one such use-case already i.e., O_APPEND writes. In fact write-behind has enough logic to address dependencies like conflicting writes, read, stat etc on just written regions etc (Of course, we would loose performance gains as write-behind still wind calls across network for dependent ops. But again, if write-behind cache is sufficient enough, this latency is not witnessed by application). So, I am wondering can we pass down these dependency requirements down the stack and let write-behind handle them.

@Poornima and others,

Did you've any such use-cases in mind when you proposed compounding?

regards,
Raghavendra