[Gluster-devel] libgfapi compound operations - multiple writes

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Wed Dec 9 17:06:43 UTC 2015

On December 9, 2015 at 10:31:03 AM, Raghavendra Gowdappa (rgowdapp at redhat.com) wrote:
> forking off since it muddles the original conversation. I've some questions:
>
> 1. Why do multiple writes need to be compounded together?
> 2. If the reason is aggregation, cant we tune write-behind to do the same?

I think compounding (as we’ve been discussing it) is only necessary when
there’s a dependency between operations.  For example, if the first
creates a value (e.g. file descriptor) used by the second, or if the
second should not proceed unless the first (e.g. a lock) succeeded.  If
multiple operations are completely independent of one another, as is the
case for writes without fsync, then I think we should rely on
write-behind or something similar instead.  Compounding is likely to be
the wrong solution here for two reasons:

 * Correctness: if the writes are independent, there’s no reason why
   failure of the first should cause the second not to be issued (as
   would be the case with compounding).

 * Performance: compounding would keep the writes separate, whereas
   write-behind can reduce overhead even more by coalescing them into a
   single request.

There is, however, one case where compounding would be the right answer:
when there really is a dependency between the writes.  There’s no way to
specify this through the POSIX/VFS interface (more’s the pity), but it’s
easy to imagine GFAPI or internal use cases where a second write should
not overtake or continue without the first - e.g.  a key/value store
that writes new data followed by an index update pointing to that data.
The strictly-sequential behavior of a compound operation might be just
the right match for such cases.