[Gluster-devel] context based defaults for volume options in glusterd

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Mon Aug 31 06:45:10 UTC 2015

hi,
      Afr needs context based defaults for quorum where by default
quorum value is 'none' for 2-way replica and 'auto' for 3 way replica.
Anuradha sent http://review.gluster.org/11872 to fix the same. May be we
can come up with more generic solution. The present solution remembers
the default in volinfo->options and also written to the store. So the
default will be shown in "volume info" output and if we want to change
the defaults in future we will need to carefully think of all the things
that could go wrong especially peers getting rejected because of the
md5sum mismatch. Another way to solve the same problem is to generate
the default value of the vme-option based on the context of the volume
when we have to write to the volfile. In this particular case, we need
to generate default as 'none' for 2-way-replica-count volume. and 'auto'
for 3-replica-count volume. For volume-get command handling also we need
to consider this dynamic default value. For implementing this, we can
add a new member 'context_based_default_value_get()'(please feel free to
come up with better name for the function :-) ) to the vme-table which
can be invoked to get the default option which takes the volinfo as
parameter at least, and not set .value i.e implicitly .value will be NULL.

This is based on earlier design detail in the comment of vme-table:
* Fourth field is <value>. In this context they are used to specify
* a default. That is, even the volume dict doesn't have a value,
* we procced as if the default value were set for it.

We just want to enhance the existing behavior with this proposed change.
It seems more generic than the present solution in the patch. In future
people can write their own implementations of context based default
value generation following same procedure. Let me know your comments.

Pranith