[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Proposal for GlusterD-2.0

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu Sep 11 14:22:52 UTC 2014

> For distributed store, I would think of MongoDB which provides
> distributed/replicated/highly available/master read-write/slave read-only
> database.  Lets get what community think about SaltStack and/or MongoDB.

I definitely do not think MongoDB is the right tool for this job.  I'm
not one of those people who just bash MongoDB out of fashion, either.  I
frequently defend them against such attacks, and I used MongoDB for some
work on CloudForms a while ago.  However, a full MongoDB setup carries a
pretty high operational complexity, to support high scale and rich
features . . . which we don't need.  This part of our system doesn't
need sharding.  It doesn't need complex ad-hoc query capability.  If we
don't need those features, we *certainly* don't need the complexity that
comes with them.  We need something with the very highest levels of
reliability and consistency, with as little complexity as possible to go
with that.  Even its strongest advocates would probably agree that
MongoDB doesn't fit those requirements very well.