[Gluster-devel] Languages (was Re: Proposal for GlusterD-2.0)

Luis Pabón lpabon at redhat.com
Thu Sep 11 01:51:46 UTC 2014

I think the real question is, Why do we depend on core files?  What does
it provide?  If we rethink how we may do debugging, we may realize that
we only require core files because we are used to it and it is familiar
to us.  Now, I am not saying that core files are not useful, but I am
saying that we may be able to do most of the necessary debugging by
other means.

For example, debugging systems running OpenStack Swift which uses Python
stack traces has been much easier than analyzing C core files.  Just my
experience.

I would not say that because Go, Java, Ruby, or Python do not create
core files, that it would be hard to debug.  Instead we need to learn
new ways of debugging.  Just my $0.02 :-)

- Luis