[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] RHEL6.6 provides Gluster 3.6.0-28.2 ?

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Tue Nov 4 21:39:24 UTC 2014

On Tue, Nov 04, 2014 at 04:39:48PM +0000, Justin Clift wrote:
> On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 21:04:46 +0100
> Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> > (1) The main problem is that RHEL/CentOS now provides the glusterfs
> > client packages in a version that is higher than the community
> > GlusterFS packages. RHEL (or rather Red Hat Storage) took a
> > pre-release of glusterfs-3.6 and included that in RHEL-6.6. This
> > means that on updating, yum will find the newer RHEL packages, but
> > there is no matching glusterfs-server. If you have glusterfs-server
> > installed from the gluster.org repository, yum can not update
> > glusterfs-server, and dependency errors are the result.
>
> <snip>
> > The first problem is going to be solved by releasing glusterfs-3.6.1
> > in the following days. This makes the community version have a higher
> > version than the packages in RHEL/CentOS, and yum would prefer these
> > and it can resolve all dependencies, including glusterfs-server.
>
> As an idea, do you reckon using the "Epoch" tag in the .spec files
> (upstream, or RHS downstream) would help to fix the problem?

That is an option, and we briefly considered it. But it is not a very
nice thing to do. We have to update the package for 3.6 anyway, so 3.6.1
is a nice solution.

It would work for 3.4 and 3.5 (epoch/serial needs to be set to the same
value for all community packages, in that case), but there might be
other difficulties while (automatic) downgrading the RHEL/CentOS
glusterfs-3.6.0 packages. My current preference goes to
"exclude=glusterfs*" in yum.conf(.d?) and a "includepkgs=glusterfs*" in
the gluster.repo file. However, I've not tested it with "yum downgrade"
either.

It is relatively easy to push a packaging change only, that would not
demand a 3.6.2 release. I hope to have time to discuss about our
preferred approach for 3.4 and 3.5 later this week.

Thanks,
Niels