[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] RHEL6.6 provides Gluster 3.6.0-28.2 ?

Justin Clift justin at gluster.org
Tue Nov 4 16:39:48 UTC 2014

On Sun, 2 Nov 2014 21:04:46 +0100
Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
<snip>
> (1) The main problem is that RHEL/CentOS now provides the glusterfs
> client packages in a version that is higher than the community
> GlusterFS packages. RHEL (or rather Red Hat Storage) took a
> pre-release of glusterfs-3.6 and included that in RHEL-6.6. This
> means that on updating, yum will find the newer RHEL packages, but
> there is no matching glusterfs-server. If you have glusterfs-server
> installed from the gluster.org repository, yum can not update
> glusterfs-server, and dependency errors are the result.

<snip>
> The first problem is going to be solved by releasing glusterfs-3.6.1
> in the following days. This makes the community version have a higher
> version than the packages in RHEL/CentOS, and yum would prefer these
> and it can resolve all dependencies, including glusterfs-server.

As an idea, do you reckon using the "Epoch" tag in the .spec files
(upstream, or RHS downstream) would help to fix the problem?

Daniel Veillard (CC'd) suggested it today in my team meeting when
hearing of the problem.  Apparently it's an old packager trick for
dealing with issues like this. (not a very well liked trick, but
it's there for a reason, etc.)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--