[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] User-serviceable snapshots design

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu May 8 18:48:55 UTC 2014

> client graph is not dynamically modified. the snapview-client and
> protocol/server are inserted by volgen and no further changes are made on
> the client side. I believe Anand was referring to " Adding a protocol/client
> instance to connect to protocol/server at the daemon" as an action being
> performed by volgen.

OK, so let's say we create a new volfile including connections for a snapshot
that didn't even exist when the client first mounted.  Are you saying we do
a full graph switch to that new volfile?  That still seems dynamic.  Doesn't
that still mean we need to account for USS state when we regenerate the
next volfile after an add-brick (for example)?  One way or another the
graph's going to change, which creates a lot of state-management issues.
Those need to be addressed in a reviewable design so everyone can think
about it and contribute their thoughts based on their perspectives.