[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] User-serviceable snapshots design

Anand Avati avati at gluster.org
Thu May 8 18:01:02 UTC 2014

On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 4:53 AM, Jeff Darcy <jdarcy at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > * How do clients find it?  Are we dynamically changing the client
> > >    side graph to add new protocol/client instances pointing to new
> > >    snapview-servers, or is snapview-client using RPC directly?  Are
> > >    the snapview-server ports managed through the glusterd portmapper
> > >    interface, or patched in some other way?
> > Adding a protocol/client instance to connect to protocol/server at the
> > daemon.
>
> So now the client graph is being dynamically modified, in ways that
> make it un-derivable from the volume configuration (because they're
> based in part on user activity since then)?  What happens if a normal
> graph switch (e.g. due to add-brick) happens?  I'll need to think some
> more about what this architectural change really means.

client graph is not dynamically modified. the snapview-client and
protocol/server are inserted by volgen and no further changes are made on
the client side. I believe Anand was referring to " Adding a
protocol/client instance to connect to protocol/server at the daemon" as an
action being performed by volgen.