[Gluster-devel] Update on setting and maintaining a trackable status for bugs

Niels de Vos ndevos at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 20:10:32 UTC 2014

Hi all,

we (sub-maintainers and component owners) will be trying to enforce
a more trackable status of the various bugs that we have and get
reported. In order to get everyone on one line, we will follow
a documented life-cycle for the bugs:
- http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Bug_report_life_cycle

The life-cycle will help developers and bug reporters understanding
where in the process a certain fix is. It makes it easier to find the
package versions that should solve the reported issues. With this, we
hope to get more verifications of fixes from the bug reporters and other
community users.

With help from some scripts, I have been checking and correcting the
status of many bugs this evening. Now, most¹ bugs that have:

1. patches posted, should be in POST
2. have all their patches merged, should be in MODIFIED
3. have patches merged and a beta release contains those, ON_QA
4. where all patches have been included in a final release, CLOSED

So, don't be surprised to see many bug changes. This is intended and
should get us in a better position to really start a continued triaging
process for new bug reports. All details on how/when/who the triaging
will be done is not clear yet. Any volunteers that would like to be part
of the triaging and help with initial debugging and data gathering
should contact us (reply to this email on the list would work).

Have a good weekend,
Niels

¹ Bug 1091833 is the last one I checked today, continuing an other time.