[Gluster-devel] small-file performance feature sub-pages

Ben England bengland at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 19:14:36 UTC 2014

I've expanded specification of two proposals for improving small-file performance as new feature pages, referenced at the bottom of this list (not in priority order I hope?).  Could we possibly review these proposals at a gluster.org meeting this month?

http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features#Proposed_Features.2FIdeas

new feature pages under this page are:

http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/stat-xattr-cache - proposed enhancement to POSIX translator for small-file performance
http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/composite-operations - changes to reduce round trips for small-file performance

Specifically, the stat-xattr-cache proposal does not require Gluster 4.0 - it could be implemented today.  These pages are referenced by Features/Planning40 page and also by the Features/Feature_Smallfile_Perf page.

comments and feedback are appreciated.  There have been other related proposals from Rudra Siva concerning round-trip reduction in http://supercolony.gluster.org/pipermail/gluster-devel/2014-November/042741.html .

-ben