[Gluster-devel] Glusterd 'Management Volume' proposal

Shyam srangana at redhat.com
Wed Dec 3 17:49:45 UTC 2014

Top posting as these are mostly queries, than a comment on MV as
described below.

1) With the current scheme in glusterd the O(N^2) is because the
configuration is replicated to every peer in the cluster, correct?

- In the new approach (either MV or otherwise), the idea is to maintain
a configuration cluster, or a set of nodes that have configuration
related information in them, correct?

- The rest of the peers get the latest configuration as this changes,
(which is the watch functionality that Jeff brings out) this part of the
requirement is not covered in the proposal. Would help if this is
elaborated as well.

- We do have the limitation now that some clients _may_ not have got the
latest graph (one of the configuration items here), with the new
proposal, is there any thought regarding resolving the same? Is it
required? I assume brick nodes, have this strict enforcement today as
well as in the future.

2) With a >1000 node setup, is it intended that we have a cascade
functionality to handle configuration changes? I.e there are a defined
set of _watchers_ to the configuration cluster, and each in turn serve a
set of peers for their _watch_ functionality?

This maybe an overkill (i.e requiring cascading), but is it required
when we consider cases like Geo-rep or tiers in different data centers
etc. that need configuration updates and all of them watching the
configuration cluster maybe a problem requiring attention?

Onto MV proposal,
- Using a smaller, pure replicate, gluster volume, sans a few xlators,
with locking enforced by the consumers of the same seems like a good way
to solve the replication, consistency and hence availability of the
configuration information.

- And as you mention, a POSIX-y interface and an application on top of
the same, seems heavy weight for a key-value store, that a configuration
volume presents.

- We still need watcher functionality and possibly cascading support

I am _not_ well aware of the internals of etcd (or other frameworks
being discussed) to compare what we can leverage from the same and what
functionality it lacks, or the production worthiness of the code.

Going by your initial statements on the same, the concern seems to be
dependency on another component, in terms of releases and required bug
fixes. I would go on to state that if the infrastructure is production
ready, then managing the dependency would be relatively easier. The real
challenge would be how much effort needs to be spent understanding the
internals and if we need to do the same, for us to be able to support
this in gluster deployments. Any clues or ideas on this, to help make a
decision?

Shyam