[Gluster-devel] Backup support for GlusterFS

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 13:12:17 UTC 2014

On Mon, Dec 1, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Aravinda <avishwan at redhat.com> wrote:
> Plan is to create glusterfs-ndmp-server, which utilizes glusterfs changelogs
> to detect changes for incremental backup. Design is not yet finalized,
> Comments & Suggestions Welcome.

Very cool, however as an aside, if reflink's could be supported within
a GlusterFS volume, and even better, between GlusterFS volumes, then
backup could be fairly instant and awesome for large filesystems.
Without this feature, I fear a backup feature is not very useful. This
is because if you have ~10PB, the time it will take for restore is
just too long.

I've mentioned this before, but it's probably not trivial to implement
reflinks (but hopefully not impossible!)

Cheers,
James