[Gluster-devel] [Gluster-users] Our plan to get bugs fixed quicker, and features implemented sooner

Pranith Kumar Karampuri pkarampu at redhat.com
Fri Aug 22 07:50:34 UTC 2014

On 08/22/2014 11:46 AM, Joe Julian wrote:
> adding the "correct" gluster-devel to this.
>
> On 8/21/2014 10:55 PM, Joe Julian wrote:
>> There have been times that I, as a user and a front-line supporter,
>> have marked a bug with the urgency that I think it deserves - based
>> on my own knowledge as well as feedback from other users - only to
>> have that urgency lowered to normal because a developer who doesn't
>> experience the urgency we do as users, deemed it so.
Actually developers/assignees are not allowed to change severity, never
(Something that I learnt an year back. May be some developers don't even
know about it :-( ). Only priority is something that can be lowered by
the assignee. In my experience this happens for severe bugs as well when
the steps to re-create the bug are not there or logs are not enough to
find the root cause etc.

>> Granted, there have also been many occasions where I didn't set the
>> urgency and my bug has been treated as if it was a message from
>> beyond the natural realm, for which I am truly grateful.
Because the message _is_ from beyond natural realm ;-)

>> When I set the urgency, I try to consider more than just my own
>> current needs (though often they're truly quite urgent) and look at
>> potential for data loss, likelihood to encounter the bug during
>> normal operations, and feedback from other users who have (usually)
>> encountered the same bug. To have all that forethought discarded is
>> disheartening. For that reason, I never set the urgency of any of my
>> bugs any more.
I guess it would be better if you could raise it in devel mailing list
rather that not setting the urgency anymore :-(.

>> I would be willing to participate in triage, but I would expect the
>> same rigidness in changing an urgency as there is in getting a change
>> accepted. The developer who wants to change the urgency should be
>> expected to argue his case, not simply change it.
+1

Pranith