[Gluster-devel] Help on pthread library error Handling!

Chetan Risbud crisbud at redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 13:18:42 UTC 2014

Hi Kotresh,

 If you are asking about overall 'policy' to deal with "abort the glusterd"  OR "handle the error gracefully" then below answers may not be really applicable. IMO, it deals with design of the glusterd and I am still learning. :)

All in All, the errors in pthread_mutex_lock depends on how the mutex is initialized. (DEFAULT, RECURSIVE, ERRORCHECK). But if we go by default behavior of locks,  pthread_mutex_lock() usually fails with EAGAIN/EINVAL. EINVAL is the critical error and may require attention upto the level of aborting the process. IMO.

But EAGAIN can be handled as it has to deal with recursive locks. (depends on type of lock)

May be using a pthread_mutex_trylock() + timeout(optional) could be a good option where it can returns proper error codes and having error handling around would help solve intermittent conditions.

My 2 cents.

Thanks,
Chetan Risbud.