[Gluster-devel] Interested in improving usability of Wireshark for Gluster?

M S Vishwanath Bhat vbhat at redhat.com
Sun Apr 13 14:32:41 UTC 2014

On 13/04/14 15:26, Niels de Vos wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> since a while I have been working on adding and improving support for
> debugging and analyzing network traffic from Gluster. Being able to read
> the details from a network capture that contains Gluster traffic has
> already been a major help while debugging issues that customers reported
> for Red Hat Storage (based on Gluster).
>
> Because debugging problems and analyzing network captures is part of my
> job, I should be relatively experienced in working with Wireshark. It
> seems that others have an interest in using Wireshark for checking
> Gluster network traffic too. The current support for Gluster in
> Wireshark is very usable, but there are several things that can be made
> a little easier. For this, I have started a TODO list[1] on the wiki[2]
> of the Wireshark project on the Gluster Forge[3].
>
> I'd like to ask anyone who is interested in analyzing Gluster network
> traffic with Wireshark to:
I am interested in learning more about wireshark for glusterfs.
> * document example steps and procedures that help with looking into
>    captured network traffic, add them (or a link) to the wiki[2]
I can start with this. I have a fair bit of understanding about
wireshark and have used it in the past.
> * add ideas to the TODO list[1]
> * work on items from the TODO list[1]
> * write patches, post merge requests or file patches upstream
I am interested in learning and writing patches for it too :)

But I'm bit weary about committing to any timeline. I'm more likely to
have less free time in the coming days. :(

But can always work it out over the weekend.

Best Regards,
Vishwanath