[Gluster-devel] Fencing FOPs on data-split-brained files

Ravishankar N ravishankar at redhat.com
Wed Nov 13 11:01:15 UTC 2013

Hi,

Currenly in glusterfs, when there is a data splt-brain (only) on a file,
we disallow the following operations from the mount-point by returning
EIO to the application:
- Writes to the file (truncate, dd, echo, cp etc)
- Reads to the file (cat)
- Reading extended attributes (getfattr) [1]

However we do permit the following operations:
-creating hardlinks
-creating symlinks
-mv
-setattr
-chmod
-chown
--touch
-ls
-stat

While it makes sense to allow `ls` and `stat`, is it okay to  add checks
in the FOPS to disallow the other operations? Allowing creation of links
and changing file attributes only seems to complicate things before the
admin can go to the backend bricks and resolve the splitbrain (by
deleteing all but the healthy copy of the file including hardlinks).
More so if the file is renamed before addressing the split-brain.
Please share your thoughs.

Thanks,
Ravi

[1] http://review.gluster.org/#/c/5988/