[Gluster-devel] Error compiling git tree

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Fri Mar 29 12:11:12 UTC 2013

On 03/29/2013 05:56 AM, Nux! wrote:
> Copied over the specified files, but I'm hitting the following problem:
>
> config.status: error: cannot find input file:
> xlators/features/protect/Makefile.in
>
> and then at `make dist`:
>
> [mockbuild at rpmbuilder glusterfs-3.4git]$ make dist
>   cd . && /bin/sh /builddir/glusterfs-3.4git/missing --run automake-1.11
> --foreign
> xlators/features/Makefile.am:1: required directory
> xlators/features/protect does not exist
> configure.ac:29: required file `xlators/features/protect/Makefile.in'
> not found
> configure.ac:29: required file
> `xlators/features/protect/src/Makefile.in' not found
> make: *** [Makefile.in] Error 1
>

> I checked and this file doesn not exist in the head branch either.

The .in files are generated from the .am files, so you wouldn't see them
in the git tree.  The problem here seems to be that there's a reference
to the features/protect translator in your configure.ac, but the
directory containing that translator (which is new) doesn't exist.  As
far as I can tell that reference doesn't exist in 3.4, since the patch
that creates both it and the directory together was never backported, so
you seem to be in a mixed master/release-3.4 hybrid environment.

I'd suggest not copying generated files from one tree to another.
Instead, since your original problem seems to have been with the
automatic changelog generation in a fresh tree, I'd suggest commenting
out that line in Makefile.am (not Makefile.in or Makefile) in a
similarly fresh tree.  It's not really essential.

Justin, Kaleb: there seems to be another (or perhaps underlying) problem
with extras/LinuxRPM/Makefile.am.  It does a git clone but not a git
checkout to release-3.4, even if the makefile itself is sitting in a 3.4
checkout.  Leaving the cloned tree on master doesn't seem like the right
thing for building 3.4 RPMs.