[Gluster-devel] Glusterd: A New Hope

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Mon Mar 25 18:18:21 UTC 2013

On 03/25/2013 12:44 PM, Alex Attarian wrote:
> Adding more complexity means only making it a nightmare for administrators.
> I've said this times and times and I will say it again, your documentation has
> always been bad, out of respect I'm not calling it shit. If you had taken your
> time and grabbed a random admin and watched him set up a system, you would've
> cried for him. Until this day I don't understand why you haven't taken the time
> to sit down and write a good documentation so more people can use gluster.
> Instead what happens is people come look at the site, look at the docs and
> examples, and run away.

Look, I'm not here to solve a documentation problem.  I've done more than any
other developer on that front already.  I'm also not here to explain the
difference between the GlusterFS community project and the Red Hat Storage
product, or enumerate the features that *people have demanded* which make the
project more complex.  Wrong forum, wrong time, maybe wrong guy.  I'm trying to
solve a specific set of technical problems in a component that most of our
users appreciate.  Being able to form a cluster and export a volume with three
commands from one CLI (probe, create, start) is not something we're going to
throw away.  People who want to build its equivalent themselves are a tiny
minority insufficient to sustain the project.

If you disagree with the very idea of having glusterd, then *we have nothing to
talk about*.  If you appreciate the infrastructure it provides, if you want to
make that infrastructure as robust and scalable and convenient to use as
possible, then by all means share your ideas or opinions on ideas that have
already been presented.  The other users who have participated constructively
don't deserve to be crowded out of the conversation