[Gluster-devel] opendir/readdir helper

Anand Avati anand.avati at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 18:13:26 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 6:37 AM, Brian Foster <bfoster at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/01/2013 08:27 AM, Jeff Darcy wrote:
> > As we all know, directory-listing performance (or lack thereof) is a bit
> > of a sore spot for many GlusterFS users, because it's one of the few
> > places where FUSE really does make a difference.
>
> Hey Jeff,
>
> Just an update on this topic... I slapped some prototype code together
> to play around with directory prefetching [1] and ran a few basic tests.
> The results could probably still be considered slow, but there is a nice
> bump in performance. I'm seeing roughly 50% improvement in single large
> directory read tests (numbers at [1]). I think this is mostly from using
> larger requests.
>
> There are still some interesting tests to run (I'd like to try Avati's
> updates to support native fuse readdirp, compare results from increasing
> the fuse readdirp buffer, and perhaps create a libgfapi driver to factor
> the fuse overhead), but wanted throw this out there for reference.
> Thoughts and ideas appreciated.
>
> Brian
>
> [1] - http://review.gluster.org/4519

I only glanced through the patch without going through in detail. But it
certainly looks promising in terms of what it is doing! There is lot of
potential and opportunities to increase readdir performance in general as
the consistency requirements are much weaker than file I/O, and this is
certainly a step in the right direction. I can also see how this translator
and native fuse readdirplus can together work better in a complementary
manner.

In any case we should "polish" it into a minor feature for the next release
as the patch is already so much ready.

Avati