[Gluster-devel] Is it safe to use synctask_{wake, yield} outside of __wake and __yield macros?

krish kparthas at redhat.com
Thu Feb 14 04:37:16 UTC 2013

The strategy is to defer yield'ing of the task till a mgmt operation is
sent to all the peers.

If I understand it right, the following theorem is true,
- A function which begins execution in a synctask (ie. thread from
syncenv's thread pool), would always
   resume execution (ie, wake) in the same thread (viz. part of
syncenv's thread pool).

If the above theorem is correct, then all syncops performed by mgmt
operation handlers are
guaranteed to be called from a syncenv. The synctask is spawned at
rpcsvc layer for all glusterd mgmt
operations programs.

Following is an example code snippet.

<code>
gd_lock_op_phase (struct list_head *peers, char **op_errstr, int npeers) {

  list_for_each_entry (peerinfo, peers, op_peers_list) {
                 gd_syncop_mgmt_lock (peerinfo->rpc, aggr, index,
                                      MY_UUID, peer_uuid);
         }
synctask_yield (aggr->task);
//note: block in the above line until all the cbks return - call_cnt
mechanism

}

#define GD_SYNCOP(rpc, stb, cbk, req, prog, procnum, xdrproc) do {      \
                 int                 ret     = 0;                        \
                 struct  synctask    *task   = NULL;                     \
\
                 task = synctask_get ();                                 \
                 stb->task = task;                                       \
                 ret = gd_syncop_submit_request (rpc, req, stb,          \
                                                 prog, procnum, cbk,     \
(xdrproc_t)xdrproc);    \
             // note: yield here has been removed
         } while (0)

</code>

Let me know if we can come up with a generic framework for what I am
trying to do here.

thanks,
krish