[Gluster-devel] Could we add a MAINTAINERS file to the glusterfs sources?

James purpleidea at gmail.com
Thu Dec 12 07:52:05 UTC 2013

On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Niels de Vos <ndevos at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 11, 2013 at 11:28:31AM -0500, James wrote:
>> > I did not apply any sophisticated logic, and just asked around who the
>> > current maintainers are. A mostly reviewed MAINTAINERS file has now been
>> > proposed for inclusion:
>> > - http://review.gluster.org/6480
>> >

>> Puppet-Gluster sounds like a notable "Related project" to add to that
>> file section...
>
> I tried to include only projects that deal with the internals of
> Gluster. It is unclear to me how much the Puppet-Gluster maintainer
> needs to get informed about changes.

Well maybe Puppet-Gluster is the black-sheep child that doesn't get no
love, but I believe that GlusterFS isn't very useful without some sort
higher level configuration management tool, specifically for when
users want to scale. At the moment, few people really use GlusterFS at
100+ hosts / petabyte scale. What about 1000? 10k? How are we going to
manage that?

It would be helpful to be notified if things were going to break.
Because of Gluster's weird configuration system (instead of a simple
stable configuration file), Puppet-Gluster does this manually, eg:
https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-gluster/blob/master/manifests/host.pp#L86
https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-gluster/blob/master/manifests/host.pp#L191

Another place it tracks internals is through the xml properties:
https://github.com/purpleidea/puppet-gluster/blob/master/files/xml.py#L39

> A lot of the projects that are on http://forge.gluster.org are related
> and important to the community, but most of them should not need to
> track changes in the glusterfs-sources. If you feel that Puppet-Gluster
> really is relying on the internals of Gluster, we can add the project
> without issues. Please leave a note with the projects details in the
> code review for that,

Anyways, I don't care about being in the maintainers file, but at
least try and have a look at what Puppet-Gluster does and uses so
someone can give me a heads up if something big is going to change.

> Thanks,
> Niels

Cheers,
James