[Gluster-devel] rpc problems when using syncops in callbacks

Krishnan Parthasarathi kparthas at redhat.com
Mon Apr 29 06:17:33 UTC 2013

Hi Fog,

RPC callbacks are executed in the epoll thread[1]. Calling
synctask_yield causes that epoll thread to be blocked until, the
corresponding "wake" is called. Most likely, the code calling the "wake"
is tied to a network-event, which wouldn't be 'noticed' until the epoll
thread is unblocked. This is a classic deadlock.

You could attach gdb to the hung process and check if synctask_yield was
called on the epoll thread. For further analysis, you might want to
paste the output of "thread apply all bt full" from gdb, attached to the
hung process.

[1] - epoll thread - is a short name for the thread executing epoll (),
'listening' for network events.

HTH,
krish