[Gluster-devel] rpc problems when using syncops in callbacks

fog - fog_is_my_name at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 26 09:40:35 UTC 2013

Hello everyone,

I am trying to use syncops in a custom
translator to keep my code at least borderline readable, but I am having
 limited success.

Problem Symptoms:
Using a syncop in a
regular fop is fine. However, in a callback it causes a 'freeze'
(synctask_yield called by the SYNCOP macro doesn't return).

What seems to be the Problem:
Looking
 at the traces, there is no corresponding trace from rpc_clnt_reply_init
 on the client to the trace from rpcsvc_submit_generic on the server. In
other words, the rpc reply gets sent but isn't correctly received. Obviously this is not really a networking problem but something else... I'd guess it's a deadlock somewhere on the client?
From
 the point of the syncop call onwards the client doesn't 'get' any rpc
replies any more (the next GlusterFS Handshake sent by the client, which
 is received by the server and replied to, leads to a disconnection
accordingly).

Again: This problem is only
occurring when calling a syncop from a callback function inside my
translator, if I call the same syncop in a fop call it completes fine.

I hope you can make sense out of the above problem description.
Thanks for your time ~