[Gluster-devel] Proposed change in Gerrit workflow

Vijay Bellur vbellur at redhat.com
Wed Sep 26 06:11:02 UTC 2012

On 09/26/2012 10:34 AM, Deepak C Shetty wrote:
> On 09/25/2012 04:13 PM, Vijay Bellur wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> We intend to bring the following change in our gerrit based workflow:
>>
>> - Introduce +2 and -2 for Verified in Gerrit
>> - +2 for Verified to be necessary for merging a patch
>>
>> The intent of this proposed change is to get additional test coverage
>> and reduce the number of regressions that can sneak by. Jenkins would
>> continue to provide +1s for all submitted changes that pass basic
>> smoke tests. An additional +2 would be necessary from somebody who
>> tests the patch. Providing a +2 for Verified would be semantically
>> similar to adding a Tested-by: tag.
> I have a basic doubt here.. How is +2 verified different than +1
> verified, which is currently provided by either the author or someone
> else or both. I assume that the Jenkins +1 verified is not the only
> thing that is seen by the maintainer before merging the patch, he/she
> should be looking at +1 verified from the author or someother person and
> take the decision accordingly during merge.

That is not the work flow model we follow currently. Authors and testers
do not provide +1 verified usually and patches do get accepted with +1
verified from Jenkins. The necessary condition today for accepting a
patch is +2 Code Review and +1 Verified. With the proposed change it
would become +2 Code Review and +2 Verified. This change would mean that
we will not merge patches even accidentally when it has been acked by
Jenkins only.

Thanks,
Vijay