[Gluster-devel] glusterfs client and page cache

Brian Foster bfoster at redhat.com
Wed May 30 23:10:58 UTC 2012

On 05/30/2012 03:32 PM, Anand Avati wrote:
> Brian,
>   You are right, today we hardly leverage the page cache in the kernel.
> When Gluster started and performance translators were implemented, the
> fuse invalidation support did not exist, and since that support was
> brought in upstream fuse we haven't leveraged that effectively. We can
> actually do a lot more smart things using the invalidation changes.
>
> For the consistency concerns where an open fd continues to refer to
> local page cache - if that is a problem, today you need to mount with
> --enable-direct-io-mode to bypass the page cache altogether (this is
> very different from O_DIRECT open() support). On the other hand, to
> utilize the fuse invalidation APIs and promote using the page cache and
> still be consistent, we need to gear up glusterfs framework by first
> implementing server originated messaging support, then build some kind
> of opportunistic locking or leases to notify glusterfs clients about
> modifications from a second client, and third implement hooks in the
> client side listener to do things like sending fuse invalidations or
> purge pages in io-cache or flush pending writes in write-behind etc.
> This needs to happen, but we're short on resources to prioritize this
> sooner :-)

Thanks for the context Avati. The fuse patch I sent lead to a similar
thought process with regard to finer grained invalidation. So far it
seems well received, and as I understand it, we can also utilize that
mechanism to do full invalidations from gluster on older fuse modules
that wouldn't have that fix. I'll look into incorporating that into what
I have so far and making it available for review.

Brian