[Gluster-devel] glusterfs client and page cache

Anand Avati anand.avati at gmail.com
Wed May 30 19:32:50 UTC 2012

Brian,
  You are right, today we hardly leverage the page cache in the kernel.
When Gluster started and performance translators were implemented, the fuse
invalidation support did not exist, and since that support was brought in
upstream fuse we haven't leveraged that effectively. We can actually do a
lot more smart things using the invalidation changes.

For the consistency concerns where an open fd continues to refer to local
page cache - if that is a problem, today you need to mount with
--enable-direct-io-mode to bypass the page cache altogether (this is very
different from O_DIRECT open() support). On the other hand, to utilize the
fuse invalidation APIs and promote using the page cache and still be
consistent, we need to gear up glusterfs framework by first implementing
server originated messaging support, then build some kind of opportunistic
locking or leases to notify glusterfs clients about modifications from a
second client, and third implement hooks in the client side listener to do
things like sending fuse invalidations or purge pages in io-cache or flush
pending writes in write-behind etc. This needs to happen, but we're short
on resources to prioritize this sooner :-)

Avati