[Gluster-devel] Hide Feature

Jeff Darcy jdarcy at redhat.com
Thu May 10 13:39:21 UTC 2012

On Thu, 10 May 2012 15:47:06 +1000
"Ian Latter" <ian.latter at midnightcode.org> wrote:

>   I have published an untested "hide" module (compiled
> against glusterfs-3.2.6);
>
>     A simple method for hiding an underlying directory
>     structure from parent/up-stream bricks within
>     GlusterFS.  In 2012 this code was spawned from
>     my incomplete 2009 dedupe brick code which used
>     this method to protect its internal hash database
>     from the user, above.
>
>     http://midnightcode.org/projects/saturn/code/hide-0.5.tgz
>

>   I am serious when I mean untested - I've not even
> loaded the module under Gluster, it simply compiles.
>

>   Let me know if there are tweaks that should be made
> or considered.

A couple of comments:

* It should be sufficient to fail lookup for paths that match your
pattern.  If that fails, the caller will never get to any others.  You
can use the quota translator as an example for something like this.

* If you want to continue supporting this yourself, then you can just
leave the code as it is, though in that case you'll want to consider
building it "out of tree" as I describe in my "Translator 101" post[1]
or do for some of my own translators[2].  Otherwise you'll need to
submit it as a patch through Gerrit according to our standard
workflow[3].  You'll also need to fix some of the idiosyncratic
indentation.  I don't remember the current policy wrt copyright
assignment, but that might be required too.

[1]
http://hekafs.org/index.php/2011/11/translator-101-lesson-3-this-time-for-real/

[2] https://github.com/jdarcy/negative-lookup

[3]