[Gluster-devel] ZkFarmer

Ian Latter ian.latter at midnightcode.org
Tue May 8 05:21:37 UTC 2012

> No one node or set of nodes should hold the
> cluster hostage.

Agreed - this is fundamental.

> We are revisiting this situation now because we
> want to scale to 1000s of nodes potentially.

Good, I hate upper bounds on architectures :)

Though I haven't tested my own implementation,
I understand that one implementation of the
discovery protocol that I've used, scaled to
20,000 hosts across three sites in two countries;
this is the the type of robust outcome that can be
manipulated at the macro scale - i.e. without
manipulating per-node details.

> Gluster CLI operations should not time out or
> slow down.

This is critical - not just the CLI but also the
storage interface (in a redundant environment);
infrastructure wears and fails, thus failing
infrastructure should be regarded as the norm/
default.

> If ZK requires proprietary JRE for stability,
> Java will be NO NO!.

*Fantastic*

> My point is to keep things simple as we scale.

I couldn't agree more. In that principle I ask that
each dependency on cluster knowledge be
considered carefully with a minimalist approach.

--
Ian Latter
Late night coder ..