[Gluster-devel] Feature page on Volume lifecycle extensions (aka Hooks)

Deepak C Shetty deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Aug 27 08:12:54 UTC 2012

On 08/24/2012 11:56 AM, Krishnan Parthasarathi wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> The following wiki page provides detailed information on "Volume life cycle extensions"
> or more fondly referred to as Hooks. Hooks are scripts/executables that would
> be run on the trigger of events like volume-start, volume-stop, etc. This allows admin
> to customise her volume 'deployment' work-flow. Of course it is not arbitrarily expressive/powerful
> yet.
>
> http://www.gluster.org/community/documentation/index.php/Features/Hooks

This (conceptually) is similar to hooks provided by oVirt/VDSM. I have a
naive Q tho'
How to enable/disable a hook for a particular volume  ? Is it that if i
don't set any key=value for a particular volume, the hook won't come
into action. In other words hooks will use key=value to determine what
they need to do ?

> Hope to hear comments on how we should take this feature forward. I am thinking we
> should someday have a community repository of custom workflows built around Hooks
> that we can recommend each other.

Could you provide some real world examples where using hook in gluster
env would help ?