[Gluster-devel] Can't delete or add files when a node fails.

Brian Hirt bhirt at me.com
Thu Oct 7 14:05:47 UTC 2010

I am trying to track down a problem I reported on the list last week and discovered a new problem during my testing.

If you have a four node setup with replicate/distribute and one of the nodes has a filesystem failure, the operating system will typically remount the filesystem read only.   When this happens, the glusterfsd is still running on the failed machine, but i doesn't seem to recognize that there is a problem.   If you try to create new files from a client and do an ls you will see that some of the files don't appear.  Conversely if you remove files from the client they will still be there along with their content.

This is trivial to reproduce by remounting the filesystem readonly on one of the bricks.   If you are on a typical linux install and the gluster export directory is part of the root filesystem, you would only need to 'mount -o remount,abort /'

Considering that this is a very typical path for failure, I would expect gluster to handle this properly.

Regards,

Brian Hirt