[Gluster-devel] Async replication

Gordan Bobic gordan at bobich.net
Thu May 20 17:40:19 UTC 2010

anthony garnier wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to know if gluster developpers intend to develop a module
> option for Asynchronous  replication ?
>
> Let me know if you got some informations.

I think you may be trying to use the wrong tool for the job here. If you
  really want asynchronous replication (no concurrent access
arbitration, locking, and other things that wouldn't work
asynchronously), then perhaps lsyncd (http://code.google.com/p/lsyncd/)
would be a better tool for the job (make sure you use the svn trunk
version, it has a number of important bug fixes in it).

GlusterFS is a great _cluster_ file system with rather unique benefits,
but if you really want to play _that_ fast and loose, and throw away the
consistency-ensuring constraints (and since you want async replication,
it sounds like you do), you can cut a few more corners to gain a lot of
extra performance. Just make sure you are aware of the limitations and
consequences of this - concurrent file writes _will_ lead to race
conditions which will trash your data.

Gordan